PRFC member Scott Allen will defend home turf when the United take on the Northwest this weekend.

Prince Rupert Football Club ready to host the Northwest’s best

The Prince Rupert Football Club won't have to load themselves into carpools like they have all summer to attend their last soccer meet.

The Prince Rupert Football Club (PRFC) won’t have to load themselves into carpools like they have all summer to attend their last soccer meet in August.

For the first time in three years, the PRFC United will host their own northwest soccer tournament from Aug. 30 – Sept. 1, and they have commitments from five teams so far while they wait to hear back from another group of willing participants.

“We’re hoping for eight [teams],” said PRFC manager James Brown.

Three Prince Rupert teams have already signed on, as well as Gitanyow and the United’s arch-nemesis, the Hazelton Strikers.

“We’re hoping to draw in Kitwanga, Kispiox, the Nisga’a United team and Terrace,” added Brown.

A second team, led by Kendall Wing has entered the competition along with Fabio Pomponio’s Prince Rupert masters’ division team. Pomponio’s squad played in their first tournament in Terrace for Riverboat Days.

The Charles Hays Secondary School field will host the games for the first annual Labour Day Weekend Soccer Tournament and PRFC has won two championships and come in second-place twice in four tournaments. Brown and the squad wanted to attend fewer tournaments this summer after last season brought some wear and tear to their bodies.

“Last year we learned our lesson [of attending] too many and we got burned out. By the time Labour Day came around, we just couldn’t swing it,” said Brown.

The manager is currently looking for volunteers, judges, tents, tables, coolers and canopies to help with a barbecue and a 50/50 draw during the weekend.

With eight or more teams, the prize money pot will reach $4,000 and the team may even contribute some of its winnings from this past season to top up the pot as an incentive to woo more teams to join.

“For most teams, it’s quite expensive [to get here] so you have to have a real nice pot of prize money,” he added.

The team coming in second-place would earn $2,000 with third-place taking home $1,000. Brown has lined up Frazer Dodd to help referee the event and Kaien Environmental and Cope Designs has helped sponsor the trophies to be handed out.

And for the city’s first men’s open tourney in three years, Brown suspects his team can help make a push to re-popularize the game of soccer on the North Coast.

“I think it’s coming around. The talent base is there. We’ve got a lot of soccer players out there and they see exposure like this and they see everyone’s having fun [so it will help],” said Brown.

Just Posted

Pembina CEO says ‘noise’ makes Trans Mountain pipeline bid unlikely

Trans Mountain was sold to federal government in 2018

Northwest Wave Riders return from Victoria Dragon Boat Festival

This was the first time in 25 years that northern B.C. teams competed

Fore-get about golf this weekend, Vic Marion Seniors tournament postponed

Rainy forecast in Prince Rupert pushes tournament to later date

City of Prince Rupert seeking parents’ opinions to address child care issues

Child care study launching this week as part of action plan

Trudeau vows to stand firm against ‘increasingly assertive’ China

China has accused Canada of meddling in its affairs

The Northern View announces inaugural Tyee Fishing Derby in Prince Rupert

More than $7,000 up for grabs for biggest legal salmon and halibut

The Northern View 2019 Readers Choice

It’s that time of year again! Vote online or at the Prince Rupert office before noon on Aug. 30

New police force in Surrey must avoid VPD, RCMP errors made in Pickton case: Oppal

Boots are scheduled to be on the ground by spring 2021

B.C. music teacher accused of sexual misconduct involving girls

Police believe other victims could be out there after the arrest of Lamar Victor Alviar

B.C. family stranded in Croatia desperate to come home

Funds being raised to bring back mom and two children

B.C. man tells judge he attempted suicide a month before daughters’ murders

Andrew Berry takes stand in his defense for December 2017 deaths of young daughters

‘Plenty of time for a deal’: Teachers’ union expects kids back in school on Sept. 3

BCTF says class size, composition at the heart of the issue

Province funds new shuttle buses for 13 B.C. senior centres

Activity, socializing helps maintain health, Adrian Dix says

Most Read