Prince Rupert Football Club places second in tournament

The Prince Rupert Football Club (PRFC) placed second in a soccer tournament held at the beginning of the month.

The Prince Rupert Football Club (PRFC) placed second in a soccer tournament held at the beginning of the month, bringing the team’s record to four tournament titles and two runner-up wins.

PRFC played six games over the two-day tournament, which included the Kispiox Eagles, Kitwanga Young Guns, Hazelton Strikers, Glen Vowell, Nisga’a and Gitsegukla Tigers.

Prince Rupert’s team pushed themselves hard on the second day of the tournament, having to go through the back door to make it to the final match. The team ran out of steam in the final against the Hazelton Strikers after playing three consecutive games in a row. The final score of the game was 4-0 for the Strikers.

This came after beating the Kispiox Eagles 1-0 in their first game of the day, with PRFC’s Marc Montelone scoring the team’s deciding goal, and edging Nisga’a 6-4 on goals from Montelone, Nathan Paolinelli, David Sandhu and Micheal Yeomans.

On the first day of the tournament, PRFC won two of the three games they competed in, beating the Kispiox Eagles and Kitwanga Young Guns. However the team was unable to overtake their fierce competitors, the Hazelton Strikers, losing their second game of the tournament 1-0.

The team took a brief break from practice last week and are now preparing for the next tournament, which PRFC is hosting along with the Nisga’a team over the Labour Day weekend.

“We want fans to come out and watch us and help cheer us on. We’re doing good this year, we’re No. 1 from here to Prince George. We’re the team to look out for,” Kendall Wing, who took over coaching duties after being injured earlier this season.

Wing said seven to 10 teams from around northern British Columbia will be competing at the Prince Rupert tournament for a top cash prize of $6,000. Games will begin on Sat., Aug. 31 and will wrap up on Sept. 1.

Prince Rupert players will be coming out in full force, with an A and B team planning to compete.