The Skidegate Saints will be looking for their fourth straight Seniors Division title and Desi Collinson

List of teams set for All Native tournament

The qualifying results are in and the playing field for the 2015 All Native Basketball Tournament (ANBT) is set.

The qualifying results are in and the playing field for the 2015 All Native Basketball Tournament (ANBT) is set.

In the Seniors’ Division, Skidegate, Ahousat, Kincolith, Bella Bella, Prince Rupert, Port Simpson, Kitamaat, New Aiyansh, Masset, Greenville, Kitkatla, Terrace, Vancouver and Gitanyow are all set to take part in the tourney with Hartley Bay as first standby and Metlakatla Alaska (AK) as the second.

For the women’s tournament, Metlakatla B.C., Nanaimo, Kitamaat, Greenville, Gitwinksihlkw, Rain, Tofino, Bella Coola, Vancouver, Massett, Hazelton, Bella Bella, New Aiyansh and Kamloops are confirmed to be participants and Hesquiaht, Kitkatla, Port Simpson and Ahousat will be standbys from first to fourth respectively.

In the Intermediate Division, Skidegate, Prince Rupert, Hesquiaht, Bella Bella, Hazelton, Kincolith, Kitkatla, Port Simpson, Masset, Metlakatla AK, Hartley Bay and Gitwinksihlkw are attendees with Greenville as the division’s first standby.

For the Master’s Division, Masset, Bella Bella, Kincolith, Kitamaat, Gitwinksihlkw, Prince Rupert, Kitkatla, New Aiyansh, Port Simpson and Greenville are all confirmed as participants with Hydaburg AK as first standby and Metlakatla AK as second standby.

Changes to this year’s qualifying format has the committee taking out the discretionary spot and adding a third team in each division from the qualifying tournament.

For the standby positions, there are no limits to number of teams that can be on the list, but ANBT president Peter Haugan stated teams should have reasonable expectations if they’re quite far down.

“There isn’t [a limit] but you have to know that if you’re third on the list, you’re probably not going to get in,” he said last week.

To get on the standby list, teams must contact the ANBT with intent to play, and it’s first-come, first-serve if those teams hadn’t indicated either their intent to play prior to November’s qualifying tournament or participated in it.

“So this year, the Masters only had three teams [expected for qualifying] so we just put them all in the tournament. Now we have two more teams on that list – one’s Hydaburg AK, one’s Metlakatla AK – that had asked us after qualifying about being on the standby list so whoever asks us just goes on the list,” said Haugan, adding that an excess of teams in the qualifying also gets teams on the standby list (for example, the women’s Hesquiaht team came in fourth in the qualifying tournament, so they get the first standby slot).

“We probably have one or two teams drop out per year [enabling the standby teams to play],” said the tournament  president.

 

Just Posted

Port Ed council chambers full over campground dispute

Port Edward council puts decision to fund Lester Centre on hold

Houston homicide suspect remanded in custody

A Houston man accused of the second degree murder of Elija Dumont… Continue reading

Ottawa urges CN and union to continue talks as 3,200 workers go on strike

The rail workers began their strike after failing to reach a deal by a midnight deadline

Prince Rupert 2030 Vision ready to be shared with the public

Redesign Rupert is unveiling their plan for the city

Q&A with Lax Kw’alaams Mayor John Helin

Helin spoke about topics in his community ahead of the village’s upcoming election

Your Prince Rupert 55th Rotary Auction guide

Online guide to all the items up for bid before Monday’s live auction

Trudeau to take sober approach to unveiling new cabinet for minority mandate

Liberals survived a bruising campaign that diminished Trudeau’s stature as a champion of diversity

Lowe’s says it will close 34 ‘underperforming’ stores across six provinces

The stores include 26 Ronas, six Lowe’s and two Reno-Depots

B.C. to advocate for frustrated, confused, unhappy cellphone users, says premier

Maple Ridge New Democrat Bob D’Eith to advocate for more affordable and transparent cellphone options

B.C. man who killed Belgian tourist near Boston Bar gets life in prison, no parole until 2042

Sean McKenzie pleaded guilty to second-degree murder of 28-year-old Amelie Christelle Sakkalis

‘Very disrespectful’: B.C. first responder irked by motorists recording collisions on cellphones

Central Cariboo Search and Rescue deputy chief challenges motorists to break the habit

Most Read