Ollie’s unfortunate adventure

On Tuesday, Jan. 13, I was taking my granddog, Ollie, for his regular morning walk.

Editor:

On Tuesday, Jan. 13, I was taking my granddog, Ollie, for his regular morning walk.

That morning we took a different route and went from Second Avenue up Sixth Street.

We had just turned the corner when Ollie let out a terrible yelp and swung around as if something had hit him.

I thought maybe I had stepped on his foot as his reaction was so intense and scared the heck out of me.

I stopped and looked around and realized that just before his outburst he, as most dogs do, had sniffed the light pole.

I went back to my shop and got a volt meter then went back and checked the pole. There were 50 volts leaking from it.

I called the City Public Works Department and told them about the problem. They sent an electrician out in short order.

He checked the pole and came back to say he could find no problems but would check again.

The electrician came back again in a short while with a sort of grin on his face.

He said he got zapped twice through his rubber gloves, his volt meter was getting a reading of 80 volts.

He repaired the problem immediately.

Later, my granddaugther and I noticed that poor Ollie’s fur was burnt on his snout.

Apparently, the same thing happened on the Second Avenue bridge but this time the poor dog was having a pee on the pole.

Ouch, that must have hurt!

My granddog and I have discussed what happened and have decided that maybe we should sue the City of Prince Rupert for a bag of dog treats from Leanne’s Pet Shop.

Gary Weick & Ollie

Prince Rupert

Editor’s Note: We passed along Mr. Weick’s comments to the City of Prince Rupert. Here is their reply:

On Jan. 12, 2016 at approximately 10 a.m., the Public Works Department was notified that a dog was sniffing a lamp standard and received a shock.  An electrician was called immediately to rectify the situation, and two lamp standards were repaired on Fifth Street shortly after the call was received.

The City was informed that the cause of this was a faulty ballast and failed grounding. We would like to extend our apologies to the resident and his dog. We believe this to be an isolated incident.

If the public becomes aware of any further hazards in relation to City lamp standards or any other public infrastructure, please feel free to call the Public Works Department at (250) 624-6795. For after hours or weekend emergencies, call (250) 624-3000, and to report any further streetlights which require repair, call (250) 627-0988.

Our Public Works department informed me that the poles were on Fifth street (up from Subway), not Sixth, and this was double-checked with the electrician.

Veronika Stewart

City of Prince Rupert

Communications manager

 

Just Posted

EXCLUSIVE | Ron MacLean on Prince Rupert: “A kaleidoscope for the eyes”

Rogers Hometown Hockey host on Canucks, B.C.’s First Nations story and hockey’s new reflection phase

EXCLUSIVE: Kirk McLean on first time in Prince Rupert, changing nature of goaltending and Canucks outlook

Alex Kurial caught up with legendary Vancouver Canucks goaltender at Rogers Hometown Hockey

Adverse weather conditions lead to pair of ferry cancellations

Northern Expedition sailings from Prince Rupert and Skidegate affected

Rink ready, for the Rampage, minor hockey and more

Plenty of maintenance work ensures the Civic Centre’s ice surface is in pristine condition

EXCLUSIVE: Slone on Prince Rupert, working with MacLean and women in sports

Tara Slone, host of Rogers Hometown Hockey, sat down with reporter Alex Kurial for an interview

WEB POLL: Is hockey part of your identity as a Canadian?

Prince Rupert is Hometown Hockey! Is the sport part of your national identity?

The Northern View presents Santa Shops Here in Prince Rupert

More reasons to spend your shopping dollars locally

Fireballs to fill the sky Friday for brightest meteor shower of the year

Geminid meteor shower features colourful, brighter, longer shooting stars

Province sues over sailing incident that killed teen with disabilities

Gabriel Pollard, 16, died from injuries after marine lift failed

First Nations want Big Bar landslide cleared ASAP to allow fish passage

Leadership calling for urgent action and resources to remove obstruction on the Fraser

Assessed value of Lower Mainland homes expected to decrease in 2020

Other areas of province may see modest increases over last year’s values

Terrace SAR headquarters in last stretch of fundraising

$400,000 dollars needed to finish $1.4 million project

Chilliwack family’s therapy dog injured in hit and run

Miniature pit bull Fifty’s owner is a single mother facing close to $10,000 in vet bills

Most Read