These images show the extent o the listing of the Amakusa Island

UPDATE: Fate of ship that ran aground in Prince Rupert yet to be determined

The fate of the Amakusa Island has yet to be determined


The fate of the Amakusa Island, which ran aground on Monday night and is heavily listing in Prince Rupert’s outer harbour, has yet to be determined.

Prince Rupert Port Authority manager of corporate communications Michael Gurney said the ship, which is loaded with 80,000 metric tonnes of coal, suffered damage to the hull that caused the vessel to take on water.

“We’re not sure how much water was taken on, but the damage to the hull caused two buoyancy compartments to be compromised so the water-tight bulkheads closed to prevent water from entering the rest of the ship,” he said.

“Members of the Transportation Safety Board flew in yesterday to investigate and evaluate the ship and divers have been dispatched to determine the extent of the damage to the hull. Based on that data … whether repairs or evacuation of water will take place in situ or at one of the berths has to be decided.”

While there is no timeline in place for repair, Gurney said the ship “will not be travelling from Prince Rupert in its current state”.



A 228-metre bulk carrier ran aground 15 kilometres off of Ridley Island late Monday night.

The Amakusa Island was shifting position from berth at Ridley Terminals to its assigned anchorage shortly after 10 p.m. on July 12 when it became grounded. The Canadian Coast Guard and Prince Rupert Port Authority Security Operations Centre, along with other port partners, responded and the vessel was freed by SMIT Marine tugs at approximately 2:30 a.m. It then proceeded to anchorage under its own power, escorted by tugs and a port authority harbour patrol boat.

Although the ship visibly listed while aground, there were no injuries or environmental contamination reported or observed. However, the Prince Rupert Port Authority continues to monitor the situation and the Transportation Safety Board has deployed a team of investigators to the site of the grounding.

Just Posted

Disaster in store for Prince Rupert, announces Lester Centre of the Arts

Auditions set to take place at the end of October

B.C. sockeye returns drop as official calls 2019 ‘extremely challenging’

Federal government says officials are seeing the same thing off Alaska and Washington state

Pembina CEO says ‘noise’ makes Trans Mountain pipeline bid unlikely

Trans Mountain was sold to federal government in 2018

Northwest Wave Riders return from Victoria Dragon Boat Festival

This was the first time in 25 years that northern B.C. teams competed

Fore-get about golf this weekend, Vic Marion Seniors tournament postponed

Rainy forecast in Prince Rupert pushes tournament to later date

New police force in Surrey must avoid VPD, RCMP errors made in Pickton case: Oppal

Boots are scheduled to be on the ground by spring 2021

The Northern View announces inaugural Tyee Fishing Derby in Prince Rupert

More than $7,000 up for grabs for biggest legal salmon and halibut

The Northern View 2019 Readers Choice

It’s that time of year again! Vote online or at the Prince Rupert office before noon on Aug. 30

Conan turns to the Property Brothers for tips on buying Greenland

Jonathan Scott suggests removing glaciers and mountains to bring in ‘more natural light’

Forests minister visits B.C. town rocked by multiple mill shutdowns

A third of Mackenzie turns out for rally, not much to cheer about

B.C. music teacher accused of sexual misconduct involving girls

Police believe other victims could be out there after the arrest of Lamar Victor Alviar

B.C. family stranded in Croatia desperate to come home

Funds being raised to bring back mom and two children

B.C. man on trial for daughters’ murders says an intruder broke in

Andrew Berry takes stand in his defense for December 2017 deaths of young daughters

Most Read