Linda Dulkin

Seized cargo ship remains in outer harbour

Crew members and baby knitwear, among many other cargo items, remain stranded on the Hanjin Scarlet container ship

Crew members and baby knitwear, among many other cargo items, remain stranded on the Hanjin Scarlet container ship in Prince Rupert’s outer harbour since the vessel was seized on Sept. 14.

The Hanjin Shipping Company sent waves around the world when it filed for receivership on Aug. 31 after its creditors decided to not offer it any more financial support. Once the cargo destined for Prince Rupert was arranged to be unloaded, DP World arrested the vessel to claim unpaid bills from the shipping company.

While the legal process continues, and the Christmas season edges closer, Carol Lavinthal, who runs a baby clothing store called Huggalugs out of the Seattle area, says she is desperate.

“I have cargo on that ship that’s destined for Seattle and seriously there is no information that we can get our hands on. Our shipper can’t give me anything. No one can tell me anything other than it’s under arrest,” she said over the phone.

Lavinthal shared a container with another person through her shipper and when her cargo was only two days away from coming into the Seattle port she heard that the Hanjin Scarlet had been seized.

“It is screwing up my shipments so badly I’m so desperate for that merchandise. It’s sweaters that coordinate with all these cute little hats that I have and we sell to retail stores and they don’t want their shipment without it being complete. They don’t want the hats without the sweaters,” she said.

Her other concern is that once the ship is released and arrives in Seattle, it may be seized again.

However, she received a letter of warning from DB Schenker, the freight logistics services provider, on Aug. 31 stating that they “are working diligently to take possession of all of our customer’s shipments as they arrive and become available at destination or as they are awaiting vessel at origin points.”

The only update available from the Port of Prince Rupert is that the same 22 crew members are still aboard the Hanjin Scarlet but they’ve had supplies delivered to them.

The captain of the vessel hired a chandler to purchase five pallets of supplies and food that was delivered to the crew, confirmed Monika Côté, a communications officer for the port.

“The vessel has been given permission by the port authority to burn some fuel in order to run its onboard generators for electricity and heating, as well as to run the onboard desalination facility. So they can at least make water,” Michael Gurney the manager of corporate communications for the port, said. He added that he’s heard the crew are in good spirits.

Once the legal issues have been remedied between DP World and the Hanjin Shipping Co. the Hanjin Scarlet’s next scheduled ports of call after Prince Rupert is Seattle, Vancouver and back to Tokyo.

“Of course, this is under normal circumstances — what happens next with the vessel has yet to be determined,” Gurney said.


Just Posted

Could new LNG tax breaks resurrect a project on the North Coast?

Reactions to Premier Horgan and the B.C. government’s incentives for LNG Canada’s Kitimat project

Prince Rupert officer charged after pedestrian struck at crosswalk

A man suffered a broken leg and head lacerations after being struck by the police vehicle in 2017

Muddy water found in taps at Prince Rupert hospital prompts investigation

Northern Health to hire consultant to examine three facilities for potential contamination

Vandalism not the cause of two power outages in Prince Rupert

BC Hydro reported 2,932 customers briefly out of power on March 22

Tribesmen defeat Haida 77-61 in semi-final matchup at 2018 Junior All Native Basketball Tournament

Prince Rupert Tribesmen advance to finals to face Gitmidiik Storm

This Week Podcast — Episode 77

Members of Complete Streets for Prince Rupert speak on the show on how to improve pedestrian safety

How to keep local news visible in your Facebook feed

Facebook has changed the news feed to emphasize personal connections. You might see less news.

Are you going to turn off the lights for Earth Hour?

BC Hydro report says fewer people in the province are taking part, but feel it’s still important

Marijuana edibles won’t be regulated in 2018

Health Canada says edible regulation is still more than a year away

Fat joke on B.C. school’s sign not appropriate, woman says

Surrey mother says weight issues are no laughing matter

McMaster out, Bolton in as Trump’s national security adviser

President Donald is replacing National security adviser H.R. McMaster with John Bolton

Two killed, dozen hurt in French supermarket hostage-taking

French counterterrorism prosecutors are taking charge of the investigation into the shooting of a police officer in southern France

Canadian women move to No. 4 in FIFA world rankings

Canadian women match all-time high, move back to No. 4 in FIFA world rankings

Supreme Court rules former Stephen Harper aide guilty of influence peddling

A one-time senior aide to former prime minister Stephen Harper has been found guilty of influence peddling by Canada’s highest court.

Most Read