Skip to content

Royal BC Museum gets $250K donation to digitize Indigenous AV collection

Landmark donation from Wesik Family Foundation fuels museum’s audio-visual digitization project
A roll of film from the Royal BC Museum, one of the items to be digitized for the Indigenous archives. (Courtesy Royal BC Museum)

The Royal BC Museum has received a landmark $250,000 donation toward the Indigenous Audio-Visual Collection Digitization Project from the Wesik Family Foundation.

Digitizing the audio-visual collection ensures long-term care and sharing of significant cultural knowledge and voices, Tracey Drake, CEO of the Royal BC Museum, said in a press release.

The initiative will support digitising and preserving the language and cultural traditions of more than 200 British Columbian Indigenous communities and Nations through more than 28,000 photos, audio recordings and videos. This archive spans items dated 1890 to 1990, taken through provincial linguistic and anthropological research.

To date, only 20 per cent of the collection has been digitized. The Wesik Family Foundation donation will contribute to preserving the remaining 80 per cent of the collection.

To learn more about the collection, visit

READ MORE: Victoria’s Royal BC Museum celebrates Indigenous heritage with re-opening of two exhibits

Breaking News You Need To Know

Sign up for free account today and start receiving our exclusive newsletters.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.

Don't have an account? Click here to sign up

Sam Duerksen

About the Author: Sam Duerksen

Since moving to Victoria from Winnipeg in 2020, I’ve worked in communications for non-profits and arts organizations.
Read more