A fight broke out during the third period between Quesnel Kangaroos captain Alessio Tomassetti and Rampage assistant captain Tyler Ostrom, on Nov. 14. (Photo: Rebecca Dyok)

A fight broke out during the third period between Quesnel Kangaroos captain Alessio Tomassetti and Rampage assistant captain Tyler Ostrom, on Nov. 14. (Photo: Rebecca Dyok)

Prince Rupert Rampage win big and get humbled on doubleheader road trip

Speed on the ice and ‘bad puck luck’ result in split results

The Prince Rupert Rampage clenched a big win and a got served a humbling loss on their doubleheader weekend on the road, on Nov. 13 and 14.

Day 1

In their first away game in Williams Lake, the Rampage stomped the Stampeders 7-1, on Nov. 13.

“Right off the hop we went out hard and controlled the first couple shifts,” Ron German, Rampage general manager told The Northern View. “Our first goal was to take control within the first five minutes.”

The Rampage drew first blood in under five minutes and were up 2-0 by the end of the first. For the rest of the game their momentum went unbroken and the team scored another two in the second with another three to close out the game in the third period.

Hunter Johnson netted four goals with the three other goals coming in from Kory Movold, Judd Repole and Cole Morris.

“The whole team effort was there. All three lines were firing, all three sets of ‘D’ were doing their job,” German said.

The Rampage were able to limit their opponents chances and utilize their speed to rack up the goals, he said.

“They’re a newer team compared to the veterans that they normally have, but I think they just weren’t expecting us to play that hard,” German said.

Day 2

With less than five minutes to go, cheering broke out from the crowd at the West Fraser Centre as a fight broke out between the trailing Rampage and the Kangaroos, on Nov. 14.

Following their stellar win the day previous, the Rampage would be shut out by the Quesnel Kangaroos 4-0.

“Right away early in the game, it came down and boom — it was in our net from an error that we had made,” German said.

The Rampage dropped behind early after a goal from the Kangaroo’s Eli Jarvis less than two minutes into the first period.

Their deficit would increase to two shortly afterwards going into the second.

“When they got up two in the first, I wasn’t too worried at that time,” Roger Atchison, Rampage coach, said.

“You’re down two nothing, which is not a big a deal when we’ve been scoring a lot of goals. So, it shouldn’t be a big deal, but [the goals] just wouldn’t go in. So then everybody is just griping their stick a little bit harder and it doesn’t come easy,” German said.

The Rampage would go down by two more goals in the second, making it 4-0.

In the third, both teams saw numerous penalties, but no goals.

“I thought we had some really good chances, and we just couldn’t capitalize on our power play and our scoring opportunities. They just kept coming, and we just got too big of a hole to dig out of, ” Atchison said.

German believes they had a game with a little bit of “bad puck luck” that night. The puck would hit every part of the net except the back of it. However, the blame was not solely laid on some bad luck.

“When we made mistakes, they made us pay for the mistakes,” German said.

The Rampage will have a chance for payback when the Kangaroos visit them on Jan. 30, in the new year.

For their next game, The Rampage return home for where they will face an undefeated Terrace River Kings, on Dec. 11.

With files from Rebecca Dyok

READ MORE: Rampage punish Kitimat Ice Demons

Norman Galimski | Journalist 
Send Norman email
Like the The Northern View on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter