A study commissioned by the Port of Prince Rupert reports government revenues have more than tripled in the last decade. (Shannon Lough / The Northern View)

Port delivers $1 billion injection into Northern B.C.

Port of Prince Rupert releases 2016 economic impact study

The Port of Prince Rupert made more than $1 billion for Northern B.C.’s economy last year, an economic impact study commissioned by the Prince Rupert Port Authority for the 2016 year reported on Nov. 27.

In 2016, half of the port’s 3,100 direct jobs were located in Prince Rupert, with the other half in Northern B.C. communities including Terrace, Prince George and Smithers, working on transporting $35 billion worth of international goods through the terminal, rail, truck and supply chain. Approximately 5,200 jobs are indirectly related to the port, through businesses that supply and serve port operations.

READ MORE: THE PORT OF PRINCE RUPERT WELCOMED THE BIGGEST CONTAINER SHIP TO DOCK IN CANADA

The economic impact study said as a result of direct employment in Prince Rupert and the surrounding areas, $260 million of annual earning was injected into the regional economy.

In the 10 years since Fairview Container Terminal’s conversion from a break-bulk facility, operations have expanded to add more than 1,800 jobs, increase annual economic output by more than 260 per cent, and triple annual government revenues through taxes.

The study estimated that 5,400 new jobs will be created in the next decade for port operations.

“Our community has benefitted greatly from the Port’s growth, and we look forward to our continued participation in its bright future,” Harold Leighton, Chief Councillor of the Metlakatla First Nation, said in the press release.

“The last decade reflects our shared vision to become a truly global port city,” Mayor Lee Brain said in the press release. “Prince Rupert is playing a key role in Canada’s growth as a trading nation in the Asia Pacific, and we look forward to what the future has in store.”

READ MORE: FAIRVIEW PHASE 2 NORTH OPEN FOR BUSINESS



keili.bartlett@thenorthernview.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Rampage come from behind to beat Ice Demons

Prince Rupert scored five goals in the third period to secure the win on Jan. 18

City of Prince Rupert still waiting on street light upgrades

Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure said work would be complete in 2018

How sweet it is: Sugar Shack is back for ninth year

On Jan. 23 the popular Francophone festival in Prince Rupert kicks off with a social

City of Prince Rupert to explore funding for Kwinitsa airport ferry

New roll-on, roll-off berth would be called “Rupert’s Landing”

RCMP asks again for public’s assistance to find Binh Tran

Tran was last seen around the 1600 block of Park Avenue on Dec. 11

Fashion Fridays: Inspirational gym outfits

Kim XO, helps to keep you looking good on Fashion Fridays on the Black Press Media Network

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

Want to avoid the speculation tax on your vacant home? Rent it out, Horgan says

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Most Read