A Montreal Police badge is shown during a news conference in Montreal, Monday, October 7, 2019. Quebec’s human rights commission says Montreal police must definitively end the practice of routine street checks. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes

A Montreal Police badge is shown during a news conference in Montreal, Monday, October 7, 2019. Quebec’s human rights commission says Montreal police must definitively end the practice of routine street checks. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes

New allegations from across Canada in case of former cop/coach charged with sex crimes

Police have received 27 calls thus far from Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, B.C. and the United States

Sixteen potential new alleged victims have spoken to Longueuil police in connection with a former Montreal police officer and minor hockey coach accused of committing sex crimes over a 25-year period.

Francois Lamarre, also known as Frank, faces charges of gross indecency, indecent exposure, sexual assault, sexual touching and invitation to sexual touching involving four alleged victims in the Montreal suburb of Greenfield Park.

The 71-year-old is expected to appear at the Longueuil courthouse later this week on charges involving four initial complainants, who were boys between the ages of nine and 16 at the time of the alleged offences.

Longueuil police said Monday they’ve received 27 calls thus far from Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia and the United States since announcing Lamarre’s arrest on Dec. 4.

“The investigators have identified 16 potential victims from those calls and the others are witnesses or want to report what they know,” Sgt. Patrick Barriere said. “We know it takes a lot of courage to speak out about those types of events.”

Barriere said no new charges are expected for the time being, but investigators will meet with everyone who has contacted them. They are also encouraging anyone else with information to get in touch.

The crimes are alleged to have been committed between 1972 and 1997 at Lamarre’s home, in his car and at arenas.

Some of the alleged victims were youth involved in hockey, while others lived in Lamarre’s neighbourhood.

Lamarre, who retired from the Montreal police force in 1994, was a hockey coach in Greenfield Park from 1970 to 1980. The former town is now a part of the City of Longueuil.

Released under conditions, Lamarre is forbidden from contacting the complainants and from being in the presence of minors or near parks, schools or community centres.

He could not be reached for comment Monday.

Wade Wilson, a municipal councillor representing Greenfield Park, came forward earlier this month in a statement provided by the borough as one of Lamarre’s alleged victims.

He said Monday he believes there might be as many as 100 potential victims.

Barriere said investigators do believe there are other people out there who are victims or were witnesses.

“The four big heroes of this story are the ones who initiated it,” Wilson said of the initial victims. “They came out and they’ve been pursuing this for a while — especially an individual in Ontario.”

When the story broke, Wilson said it was the least he could do to come forward and provide assistance to others.

He said he has personal regrets about not coming forward sooner, but given Lamarre’s police credentials and his standing the community, it felt impossible.

“The least I could do is come forward and advise people that it’s okay…. Speak to somebody, don’t hold it inside for ever,” Wilson said. “It’s a terrible, dark secret to keep for such a long time, and it has to be addressed and you have to move forward with it at some point.”

No charges have been laid related to Wilson’s complaint, which was filed Wednesday.

ALSO READ: National sports organizations have to report allegations of abuse immediately

Sidhartha Banerjee, The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Flights are to resume to Prince Rupert and Sandspit airports under an Air Canada and federal government $5.9 billion agreement that was reached on April 12. A plane is seen through the window on the tarmac of Vancouver International Airport as the waiting room is empty Tuesday, June 9, 2020. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward)
$5.879 billion agreement between Air Canada and Fed’s will assist YPR in re-opening

Prince Rupert Regional Airport to reopen flights by June 1st, if not earlier

BC Housing townhouses on Kootenay Ave. were demolished during March to make way for new affordable residential units by Prince Rupert Indigenous Housing Society. (Photo: K-J Millar/The Northern View)
Despite a recent reduction in units project will still be able to house many

Prince Rupert Indigenous Housing Society says 60 units is still the plan

Photo collage of loved ones lost to substance use and overdose. (Photo courtesy Moms Stop The Harm)
B.C. overdose deaths still rising 5 years after public health emergency declared

Moms Stop the Harm calls on B.C. to provide safe supply in response to deadly illicit drug use

Prince Rupert City Council approved the purchase of computer chipped recycling bins on April 12. A Penticton garbage truck lifts a new bin. (Western News photo)
Big Brother to help with the garbage – computer chipped recycling bins report your bylaw infractions

They report, but will they sort — recycle bins to cost Prince Rupert $564,850

Pembina Prince Rupert Terminal celebrated the opening of operations on April 12 in a virtual online ceremony with President and CEO Mick Dilger and Manager of Communications and Media Affair Tasha Cadotte commemorating the ribbon-cutting. (Photo: Supplied)
Pembina celebrates opening of operations in Prince Rupert

A virtual ribbon-cutting ceremony commemorates LPG export facility on Watson Island

Demonstrators at the legislature on April 14 called on the province to decriminalize drug possession and provide widespread access to regulated safe supply across B.C. (Jake Romphf/News Staff)
Rally calls for decriminalization, safe supply on 5th anniversary of overdose emergency declaration

From 2016 to the end of February, 7,072 British Columbians died due to overdose

(Government of Canada)
Liberal MP caught stark naked during House of Commons video conference

William Amos, in Quebec, appeared on the screens of his fellow members of Parliament completely naked

Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry updates B.C.’s COVID-19 situation at the B.C. legislature, Feb. 1, 2020. (B.C. government)
B.C.’s COVID-19 case count jumps to 1,168 Wednesday, nearly 400 in hospital

Now 120 coronavirus patients in intensive care, six more deaths

Moss covered branches are seen in the Avatar Old Growth Forest near Port Renfrew on Vancouver Island, B.C. Thursday, Sept. 29, 2011. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
B.C. blockades aimed at protecting old-growth forests reveal First Nation split

Two Pacheedaht chiefs say they’re ‘concerned about the increasing polarization over forestry activities’ in the territory

Richmond RCMP Chief Superintendent Will Ng said, in March, the force received a stand-out number of seven reports of incidents that appeared to have “racial undertones.” (Phil McLachlan/Capital News)
‘Racially motivated’ incidents on the rise in B.C’s 4th largest city: police

Three incidents in Richmond are currently being invested as hate crimes, says RCMP Chief Superintendent Will Ng

Commercial trucks head south towards the Pacific Highway border crossing Wednesday (April 14, 2021). The union representing Canadian border officers wants its members to be included on the frontline priority list for the COVID-19 vaccine. (Aaron Hinks photo)
CBSA officers’ union calls for vaccine priority in B.C.

Border officers at ports including, YVR and land crossings should ‘not be left behind’

A still from the video taken of a violent arrest on May 30, 2020 in downtown Kelowna. (File)
Kelowna Mountie charged with assault for caught-on-camera violent arrest

Const. Siggy Pietrzak was filmed punching a suspected impaired driver at least 10 times during an arrest

A screenshot from a Nuu-chah-nulth healing song and performance created in collaboration between Hjalmer Wenstob and Timmy Masso. (Screenshot from YouTube)
VIDEO: Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation brothers produce COVID-19 healing song

Hjalmer Wenstob and Timmy Masso share dance and inspiration.

Most Read