More money needed to BC Ferries under New Building Canada Fund: Cullen

Skeena-Bulkley Valley MP Nathan Cullen is making sure that the organization gets the federal funding it deserves

BC Ferries operates along the marine highways of B.C. coastal communities and Skeena-Bulkley Valley MP Nathan Cullen is making sure that the organization gets the federal funding it deserves.

Having written a letter to Canadian Infrastructure Minister Amarjeet Sohi, Cullen and six other NDP MPs in B.C. notified Minister Sohi that leaving BC Ferries out of the New Building Canada Fund would be a sizable mistake.

“A lot of my colleagues wrote to the minister this just [last] week about allowing infrastructure money to go into making BC Ferries more affordable and stronger for the North Coast and for many of our communities that rely on ferry service, by our reading of the government’s intentions, BC Ferries should be able to [receive some funding], but it’s going to take a little bit of a push,” Cullen noted last week.

In a release Cullen sent out, the MP said that high increases to fares for northern B.C. residents wanting  to use BC Ferries has put a strain on those passengers’ finances. A larger federal boost to BC Ferries by the new Liberal Government of Canada would go a long way in relieving that financial strain that customers have taken on through higher fares.

“BC Ferries has been criticized for passing on dramatic ferry increases to B.C. residents, which has had a devastating impact on many coastal communities,” Cullen and his fellow MPs wrote in the letter.

“The proposed change could make an enormous difference … This kind of funding would reduce cost pressures as BC Ferries renews its fleet and develops terminals and faces other capital costs,” he wrote.

Along with pressuring the government for more funding for BC Ferries, Cullen offered insight into where discussions may be going in regards to the stalled Alaska Marine Highway negotiations between the Canadian government and the U.S. over upgrading the Prince Rupert terminal, which is in disrepair.

“We’re hoping for a reset on that. I’ve spoken very briefly to the new minister who’s just getting caught up and doesn’t really have a lot of depth on the file yet, but I’m hopeful that the conversations that I had with the U.S. ambassador and some of the officials in Alaska, that we can get back to resolving this,” he said.

“There are a few options that are being explored including even moving the terminal to Lax Kw’alaams if we need it to got that far, but I don’t think it does.”

The Alaska Marine Highway System (AMHS) recently announced it has proposed remaining at two sailings per week for next summer out of Prince Rupert.

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Such sweetness with all this candy. Dylan Kennedy 7, with his mom Kerri Kennedy volunteer at the Halloween Fest Committee event to bag candy for students in SD 52 on Oct. 19. (Photo: K-J Millar/The Northern View)
How sweet it is

Bags of candy were assembled by more than 25 Halloween Fest Volunteers for distribution to S.D. 52

Ashley Wilson officer in charge of Prince Rupert Marine Communications and Traffic Services said radio officers in Prince Rupert are the eyes and ears of the Canadian Coast Guard with the job as an ocean first responder being like a 911 dispatcher. (Photo: K-J Millar/The Northern View)
Coast Guard calling for radio officers

Deadline for radio officers applications extended specifically for Prince Rupert and area residents

FILE - Nathan Cullen speaks to media in Smithers, B.C., Friday, February 28, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
More calls come in for Cullen’s removal as NDP candidate

Gitxsan Hereditary Chiefs demand Cullen’s removal. Ellis says, There’s no place in B.C. for racism

An election tussle has now erupted over the long-dismantled Skeena Cellulose pulp mill on Watson Island, shown here in a 2013 photo. (File photo The Northern View)
Wilkinson, Horgan tagged over pulp mill file and legal battle

Case dates back to attempt to re-open closed Skeena Celluose pulp mill

ANBT 2021 is still in the planning, Peter Haugan event organizer said on Oct. 13. In the 2020 ANBT, Hydaburg’s T.J. Young drives along the baseline against Prince Rupert’s Brady Johnston. Hydaburg would defeat P.R, but fell to New Aiyansh in the next round. (The Northern View file photo)
All Native Basketball Tournament 2021 still in the planning

“If we cannot run it with our fans, we cannot run the tournament” - Peter Haugan

FILE – People wait in line at a COVID-19 testing facility in Burnaby, B.C., on Thursday, August 13, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
167 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death recorded as B.C. enters 2nd wave

Three new healthcare outbreaks also announced

This 2020 electron microscope image made available by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases shows a Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 particle isolated from a patient, in a laboratory in Fort Detrick, Md. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-NIAID/NIH via AP
At least 49 cases of COVID-19 linked to wedding in Calgary: Alberta Health

McMillan says the city of Calgary has recently seen several outbreaks linked to social gatherings

UBC geoscientists discovered the wreckage of a decades-old crash during an expedition on a mountain near Harrison Lake. (Submitted photo)
Wreckage of decades-old plane crash discovered on mountain near Harrison Lake

A team of Sts’ailes Community School students helped discover the twisted metal embedded in a glacier

The official search to locate Jordan Naterer was suspended Saturday Oct. 17. Photo courtesy of VPD.
‘I am not leaving without my son,’ says mother of missing Manning Park hiker

Family and friends continue to search for Jordan Naterer, after official efforts suspended

A bear similar to this black bear is believed responsible for killing a llama in Saanich on Oct. 19. (Black Press Media file photo)
Bear kills llama on Vancouver Island, prompting concerns over livestock

Officers could not track the bear they feel may not fear humans

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

Bernard Trest and his son Max, 10, are concerned about B.C.’s plan for students in the classroom. He was one of two fathers who filed a court application in August to prevent schools from reopening if stricter COVID-19 protections weren’t in place. That application was dismissed last week. (Contributed photo)
B.C. dad pledges to appeal quashed call for mandatory masks, distancing in schools

Bernard Trest and Gary Shuster challenged health, education ministries’ return-to-school plan

RCMP crest. (Black Press Media files)
RCMP cleared in fatal shooting of armed Lytton man in distress, police watchdog finds

IIO spoke to seven civillian witnesses and 11 police officers in coming to its decision

A 34-year-old man was treated for a gunshot wound in Williams Lake Monday, Oct 19, 2020. (Angie Mindus photo - Williams Lake Tribune)
Williams Lake man treated for gunshot wound after accidental shooting: RCMP

Police are reminding residents to ensure firearms are not loaded when handling them

Most Read