Lack of warning worries Prince Rupert

In Prince Rupert, first responders were very quick to react, however, a number of residents complained that there was no official warning.

  • Oct. 29, 2012 2:00 p.m.

A 7.7 magnitude earthquake rattled the north coast on Saturday evening, with countless aftershocks following. Luckily. no injuries and or substantial damage was done.

“We missed the bullet. We’re very, very fortunate. We’re taking it as a good opportunity to practice for something more severe,” Carol Kulesha, mayor of Queen Charlotte City, said.

The earthquake occurred at 8:04 p.m. at the epicenter on Oct. 27, 139 kilometres south of Masset. The quake happened 17.5 kilometres below the surface.

Although the earthquake happened 202 km away from Prince Rupert, many felt or noticed signs of it. The quake was felt as far inland as Chetwynd through the Pine Pass and as far south as Vancouver.

Tsunami warnings were issued shortly after for Haida Gwaii and the north coast, as well as parts of central B.C.’s coast, Alaska and Hawaii.

Local Emergency Services and the Prince Rupert Port Authority mustered at the Emergency Operations Command Centre at City Hall, where they closely monitored the situation.

In Prince Rupert, emergency services blocked off access to low-laying and coastal areas, with an evacuation notice originally being put in place in those areas.

The Prince Rupert Port Authority’s (PRPA) operations were also evacuated as a precaution.

Port Edward residents living near the shore and in low laying areas were notified to move to high grounds.

Fortunately, because the earthquake was caused by the earth’s plates sliding horizontally across each other in a strike-slip action instead of the plates sliding vertically, the threat of a large tsunami was not likely.

Shortly after 11 p.m.  on Saturday, the centre ceased operations and Prince Rupert’s terminals, city, and harbour  were deemed safe after the tsunami warning was downgraded to an tsunami advisory.

The US Geological Survey (USGS) confirmed a 5.8 magnitude aftershock happened ten minutes after the initial quake, with over sixty smaller shocks happening over the next day. The largest aftershock, a 6.3 magnitude, happened at 12:09 p.m. on Oct. 28 159 kilometres south-southwest of Masset.

“I [haven’t been feeling aftershocks] but I’ve heard that others did,” Kulesha said.

Fortunately no injuries or deaths during Saturday’s earthquake have been reported.

“No one has required the ambulance. I’ve asked people to report back to me if the situation changed, and so far I’ve heard nothing,” Kulesha said on Sunday.

Additionally, there haven’t been reports of any significant damage.

“As far as I’ve been able to determine there’s no major damage. People have lost things off of their shelves and I think some of the stores might have a bit of a clean up to do, but there’s no structural damage that has been reported,” Kulesha said.

According to National Resources Canada, the Oct. 27 earthquake was the second largest in Canadian history, behind 1949’s 8.1 magnitude earthquake that also happened offshore of Haida Gwaii. The third largest Canadian earthquake occurred in 1970, hitting south of Haida Gwaii with a magnitude of 7.4.

Although no major damage or tsunami occurred, response times by provincial officials are being heavily criticized.

Kelli Kryzanowski, the B.C. manager of strategic initiatives for Emergency Management B.C., told CBC she was pleased with the way local governments and individuals reacted to the quake and the tsunami threat.

She said EMBC sent out thousands of phone calls, faxes and e-mails to first responders but was evasive why EMBC’s warning came some 42 minutes after a USGS warning.

Any tsunami that would have developed from the Haida Gwaii earthquake would have already enveloped Prince Rupert in those 42 minutes.

“After these types of events we always do an analysis and have discussion about what will be the best ways to further enhance. So at this point we’re just doing the post mortem on this, figuring, looking at what went well, some of the lessons we can learn, and then those discussions will take place down the road,” Kryzanowski said on CBC.

Justice Minister Shirley Bond also is quoted by CBC saying “overall she’s pleased with the response of emergency officials and local governments, but added that she won’t offer her own assessment of the response until after the review is complete.

Bond also said that at least one government system may have had technical difficulties.”

In Prince Rupert, first responders were very quick to react, however, a number of residents complained that there was no official warning.

“I didn’t even know there was an earthquake until I talked to [his neighbour],” a 5th Ave. West resident said. “I heard nothing, I was sleeping.”

The Northern View was among the first online to alert Prince Rupert to not only the confirmation of the earthquake but also the tsunami warning.

Nearly 10,000 unique visitors logged into for its coverage and alerts.

Just Posted

Teams set for All Native tournament

The 51-team field features 39 automatic qualifiers and 12 qualifying teams

Sports briefs

Here’s what’s going on in Prince Rupert sports this weekend

PART I: How Prince Rupert schools teach Indigenous language to hundreds of students

A multimedia series with videos and photos from children’s Sm’algyax classes on B.C.’s North Coast

Rent continues to rise in Prince Rupert, drops in Terrace

A report from Canadian Mortage and Housing Corporation shows the average rent has risen by $132

UPDATE: Tree planting won’t damage sidewalks on Third Avenue West

City of Prince Rupert dug up holes on downtown sidewalks to make space for trees

Heart of Our City: A fisherman with two loves

Norm Ostrom has owned one boat in his life — Arne A. — for almost 60 years

Carriers wanted for the Northern View

We have open routes for carriers all over Prince Rupert

Court denies WestJet’s bid to toss out discrimination lawsuit of former worker

Mandalena Lewis is suing WestJet over allegations of gender-based discrimination

VIDEO: 3 months later, rescued sea lion released back into ocean

The young animal was found in Campbell River three months ago

Sagmoen neighbours recall alleged hammer attack

Woman was screaming outside Maple Ridge townhouse in 2013

Accused B.C. drug smuggler to be extradited

Supreme Court of Canada upholds extradition order for accused Shuswap drug smuggler, Colin Martin

One convicted, two cleared in 2014 deaths of men in B.C.’s Cariboo

Andrew Jongbloets convicted of manslaughter in deaths of Matthew Hennigar, 23 and Kalvin Andy, 22

AHUS patient Shantee Anaquod is home for Christmas

Less than a month after receiving first dose of $750K drug, 23 year old healthy enough to go home

Firefighter dies, thousands more take on California blaze

This is second death linked to the Thomas fire, northwest of Los Angeles

Most Read