Firefighters walk out of a home struck by fire on March 20.

Firefighters walk out of a home struck by fire on March 20.

Fire strikes Sixth Avenue home

Early on Friday morning, the Prince Rupert Fire Department responded to a call at 326 6th Ave. E.

Early on Friday morning, the Prince Rupert Fire Department responded to a call at 326 6th Ave. E.

The call came from the house’s tenant, who reported waking up to a light fixture in his bedroom that had caught fire and dropped from its latched position in the ceiling.

“I woke up at 4 a.m. and I had no power in my room. I thought the power was out in Rupert,” said Chas Page, the house’s tenant.

“I went back to bed and I woke up again at 7 a.m. to my light fixture hanging from the ceiling and on fire … The fire extinguisher didn’t work and then after that I tried to get a wet rag … and I got the light fixture [extinguished].”

Page’s roommate called the Prince Rupert Fire Rescue Department shortly after being woken up. No one in the house was reported injured.

After Page dealt with the light, he went to the attic to see the damage to the floorboards.

“It was just full of smoke and I could see little smouldering bits … there wasn’t any oxygen in the attic really, so it couldn’t burn,” said Page.

Fire chief Dave McKenzie was on scene, and by 9:30 a.m., said the fire had been contained and dealt with.

“It’s under control at this point. We just got the fire contained and knocked out at its point of origin. We know it [originated] in the upper bedroom and attic area,” said McKenzie, who later added seven firefighters responded to the scene and they designated the fire as electrical.