Prince Rupert City Hall.

Council in Brief: Prince Rupert and the District of Port Edward

What happened in council for Prince Rupert and Port Edward on April 25-26.

Port Ed relatively quiet: RCMP

PORT EDWARD – Sgt. Dave Uppal returned, as promised, for the three month update on police activity in the District of Port Edward.

In January there were 15 files, five of which were related to Lelu Island, but Uppal said there was nothing out of the ordinary.

February had 15 files as well, with a couple files related to the trailer court. There were 11 files in March with one file related to activities on Lelu Island.

Uppal introduced the new acting officer in charge, Sgt. Brian Donaldson, who came from Mackenzie. Donaldson said they submitted a document two weeks ago asking for more resources.

“It would allow us to have extra resources dedicated to dealing with patrols and some enforcement both on the water and at boat launches,” Donaldson said.

Hospital taxes on the way up

PORT EDWARD – Tax rates were increased under bylaw no. 671  for hospital purposes, the Skeena Queen Charlotte Regional Hospital District and the North West Regional Hospital District. The minimum amount of tax for a parcel of real property will be $1.

There was no real change with the other two bylaws: the sewer parcel tax bylaw no. 672 and the water frontage tax bylaw no. 673. They were passed simply to keep them active.

Spacing out liquor stores

PRINCE RUPERT  – Prince Rupert city council passed a motion implementing a one-kilometre distance rule to not allow future wine and liquor stores to be open within that distance between each other, or the relocation of liquor stores under the same distance.

The current seven private liquor stores and one controlled outlet will be grandfathered into the bylaw as they are currently operating. Two grocery stores that are eligible to apply for retail sales of liquor include Save-on Foods and Safeway. Both have yet to do so.

The motion passed with all in favour except Coun. Blair Mirau, who thought that the matter should be left to the province with no interference in the market by the city.

The matter will further be forwarded to the upcoming updates of the Official Community Plan, to be revisited next year.

311 service for Rupert?

PRINCE RUPERT – Prince Rupert City Council approved the city’s application to the CRTC to enable implementation of the 311 phone service in Prince Rupert. The 311 service diverts routine inquiries and non-urgent community concerns from the 911 number, which is reserved for emergency service, and streamlines all City of Prince Rupert non-emergency calls into one number for non-emergency municipal services.

The number is commonly used in many communities across Canada and the U.S. and the City of Prince Rupert will integrate the 311 service into its automated system that routes calls to various departments.

The service will start Jan. 1, 2017.

–  By Shannon Lough and Kevin Campbell

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Terrace conservation officers relocate Spirit bear

Bear roamed Kitsumkalum Valley north of Terrace for many years

Feds announce $8.3M to deal with ‘ghost’ fishing gear in B.C. waters

Three projects on the North Coast awarded funding

Small space extrication

Prince Rupert Fire Rescue enhances expertise with confined space certification training

VIA Rail lays off 1,000 unionized workers across the country

Northern B.C. route Jasper to Prince George to Prince Rupert is not affected by VIA Rail layoffs

Northern Health has no cases of COVID-19

The largest geographical health region has had the least reported cases of coronavirus.

Horgan says B.C. restart making gains as more people come out of their homes

B.C. announced the easing of more restrictions on businesses, recreation and travel last month

Conservatives say police should be called into investigate WE charity scandal

Trudeau is already under investigation by the ethics commissioner for potential conflict of interest

Amber Alert continues for missing Quebec girls, 6 and 11, and their father

Police issued the alert for Norah Carpentier, 11, and Romy Carpentier, 6, from Levis, Que.

Limit police access to lethal weapons in Indigenous communities: Justice Summit

Grassroots-organized National Indigenous Justice Summit was a free-to-attend two-day videoconference

Survey, hotline launched amid probe into racist blood-alcohol guessing game at B.C. hospital

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond has been appointed to lead an investigation by Health Minister Adrian Dix

Canadian policing organization calls for decriminalization of simple illicit drug possession

Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police want policing focus of opioid crisis to be replaced with a health one

Large rogue floating ‘island’ corralled by Lac la Hache residents

At least 60 feet wide, this large mass of plants is free-floating on the lake

B.C. ports part of data integration project to protect marine ecosystems

The $1.2 M federally funded program will draw crucial baseline data from Canada’s three coastlines

Filing deadline in RCMP sexual-harassment class-action extended due to COVID-19

Plaintiffs now have until January 2021 to submit claims for up to $222,000

Most Read