Life at the evacuee camp in the Wal-Mart Parking lot in Chico, Calif. Friday.                                Photo courtesy of Paul Klyne

Life at the evacuee camp in the Wal-Mart Parking lot in Chico, Calif. Friday. Photo courtesy of Paul Klyne

Update: B.C. couple helping in California felt ‘it wasn’t enough’ to donate funds

A planned holiday has turned into a humanitarian effort for a Penticton couple

UPDATE:

Daily stories of heartbreak and loss are the hardest part of the volunteer humanitarian work a Penticton couple is doing in the fire-ravaged region of Chico, Calif.

“I just talked to a friend, it took him three days to get out of the fire in his Volvo, it got melted, rolled and he was rescued by the police, and I when I got here today (Friday) and asked him how he was, he was in a pile of tears, he said; ‘I just found out I lost these friends,’” said Paul Klyne who is there with wife Destee, helping serve meals and whatever else they can do. “I just gave him a hug and said; ‘lets cry together.’”

There was another man Klyne helped Thursday who just barely escaped from the same region on his motorbike, with just the singed clothes on his back.

“He has no money, nothing, so we got him some clothes from the free store, I asked him ‘are you missing people? Let’s look on the (missing persons) list, let’s get you off of that list,’ that’s the kind of things we’re doing at ground level,” said Klyne. “It’s just one-on-one helping people, giving them emotional support, feeding them and just giving in their time of need.

“They’re fresh off the hill out of the fire and they’re a mess, you just have to console them.”

The trip for the Klynes was supposed to be some down time with friends in Paradise, a town which has been completely destroyed.

Initially with the spread of the fire they had thought about just donating some money and going to Cancun.

“But we said that’s not enough to just to donate some bucks, we need to get there and support that community,” said Klyne. “I’m so glad we did, here we are in perilous times helping people move forward.”

After getting to the camp at the Wal-Mart Parking lot they hooked up with Alex, a food truck operator from Sacramento who also came to help.

They brought with them and are still buying gift cards from Wal-Mart to give to evacuees, even their young son Jett, who is at home in Penticton with grandma, donated the money from his piggy bank.

There have been other problems as well reports the camp will be moved, looting and even the threat of the spread of norovirus.

“It’s just adding insult to injury with this virus ripping through the other camps and they’re afraid of it cross contaminating the food service here, but I guess that’s just a slice of life,” he said.

They had another scare Thursday when Destee had to be taken to the emergency ward for treatment of a food-related allergy.

“It just about killed her and I don’t say that lightly, but she’s back at it today (Friday)” said Klyne.

The couple are still accepting donations until 3 p.m. Saturday, the day before they leave.

“People can send by email and we will donate the funds on their behalf with love,” said Klyne.

The email address is desteeklyne@gmail.com.

*********

Describing the Wal-Mart Parking lot where they are helping hundreds of fire evacuees in North California as a “refugee camp” a Penticton couple vows to continue doing what they can to assist.

Related: California wildfire death toll hits 63

Paul and Destee Klyne had booked holiday time to spend with friends in Paradise long before the deadly wildfire hit the region however instead of cancelling or returning home, they turned their trip into a humanitarian effort.

Through video they’ve been sharing their story and asking for people to donate money so far raising over $1,400 to buy gift cards for the displaced fire victims, many who have little more than the clothes on their backs.

An “unofficial camp” people there have set up tents and others are living in their vehicles and there are reports the site by Sunday.

Related: Northern California fire death toll at 56; 130 missing

The Klynes are also working 12-hour days to help feed the masses. They have also extended their trip until Sunday.

By late Friday morning the death toll had reportedly risen to 66 with more than 600 people still unaccounted for.

The Camp Fire, one of two burning in the state, has burned over 142,000 acres, is 45 per cent contained and 63 of the deaths have been confirmed in that region in the deadliest wildfire in a century.

The number of structures destroyed, including homes, is nearly 12,000.


 

@PentictonNews
newstips@pentictonwesternnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.


 MarkBrett
Send Mark Brett an email.
Like the Western News on Facebook.
Follow us on Twitter.

 

Paul and Destee Klyne of Penticton on their way to the evacuee camp in Chico, Calif.                                Submitted photo

Paul and Destee Klyne of Penticton on their way to the evacuee camp in Chico, Calif. Submitted photo

Flames consume a building as the Camp Fire tears through Paradise, Calif. A Penticton couple is in northern California helping fire evacuees.                                (AP Photo/Noah Berger)

Flames consume a building as the Camp Fire tears through Paradise, Calif. A Penticton couple is in northern California helping fire evacuees. (AP Photo/Noah Berger)

Paul Klyne of Penticton helping feed fire evacuees in the Wal-Mart parking lot camp in Chico, Calif.                                Submitted photo

Paul Klyne of Penticton helping feed fire evacuees in the Wal-Mart parking lot camp in Chico, Calif. Submitted photo

Destee Klyne (left) and husband Paul with firefighting crew members Friday morning at coffee shop.                                Submitted photo

Destee Klyne (left) and husband Paul with firefighting crew members Friday morning at coffee shop. Submitted photo

Just Posted

Joseph Albert Brooks, 94-years-young pf Prince Rupert offers traditional prayers and smudging to the sick. (Photo: K-J Millar/The Northern View)
Heart of our City: Joseph Albert Brooks keeps smudging and praying for others

94-year-old Tsimshian elder just wants some help washing his floors

Land along Prince Rupert’s waterfront, PID 012-247-391, where residents say excessive industrial train noise is stemming from, has been found to be owned by the City of Prince Rupert and is not federal land like first presented, Prince Rupert Environmental Society stated on June 17. (Image: supplied by Land Title and Survey, Govt. of BC.)
Error found on land titles map may assist city with noise control enforcement of industry

Prince Rupert residents had been told there was no municipal jurisdiction to enforce noise bylaws

Department of Oceans and Fisheries has announced as of July 19 chinook salmon is not to be fished in certain areas in BC tidal waters until July. Spring chinook salmon are seen swimming. (Photo courtesy Michael Humling, US Fish & Wildlife Service)
Chinook Salmon limits set to zero in some BC tidal waters

DFO implement restrictions to protect Chinook Salmon

Visitors to a pop-up temporary aquarium in Prince Rupert will have the chance to see marine ecology from July 21 to Aug. 15, like this viewer watching sea anemones at the Ripley’s Aquarium in Toronto. (Photo: K-J Millar/The Northern View)
Prince Rupert pop-up aquarium will bring sea level to eye level in July

A permanent peak to reef ecology centre is in the planning stages by North Coast Ecology Society

Prince Rupert’s Ellen Wright and Graeme Dickens jam out during filming the two Ring System Studio concerts to be broadcast on television during June. (Photo: supplied, H. Cox)
Ring System Studio sounds on television

Two concerts by the Prince Rupert music school will be broadcast in June

Marco Mendicino, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship during a press conference in Ottawa on Thursday, May 13, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick
Canada to welcome 45,000 refugees this year, says immigration minister

Canada plans to increase persons admitted from 23,500 to 45,000 and expedite permanent residency applications

Emily Steele holds up a collage of her son, 16-year-old Elijah-Iain Beauregard who was stabbed and killed in June 2019, outside of Kelowna Law Courts on June 18. (Aaron Hemens/Capital News)
Kelowna woman who fatally stabbed teen facing up to 1.5 years of jail time

Her jail sentence would be followed by an additional one to 1.5 years of supervision

Cpl. Scott MacLeod and Police Service Dog Jago. Jago was killed in the line of duty on Thursday, June 17. (RCMP)
Abbotsford police, RCMP grieve 4-year-old service dog killed in line of duty

Jago killed by armed suspect during ‘high-risk’ incident in Alberta

The George Road wildfire near Lytton, B.C., has grown to 250 hectares. (BC Wildfire Service)
B.C. drone sighting halts helicopters fighting 250 hectares of wildfire

‘If a drone collides with firefighting aircraft the consequences could be deadly,’ says BC Wildfire Service

A dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is pictured at a vaccination site in Vancouver Thursday, March 11, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
NACI advice to mix vaccines gets varied reaction from AstraZeneca double-dosers

NACI recommends an mRNA vaccine for all Canadians receiving a second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine

A aerial view shows the debris going into Quesnel Lake caused by a tailings pond breach near the town of Likely, B.C., Tuesday, Aug. 5, 2014. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Updated tailings code after Mount Polley an improvement: B.C. mines auditor

British Columbia’s chief auditor of mines has found changes to the province’s requirements for tailings storage facilities

A North Vancouver man was arrested Friday and three police officers were injured after a 10-person broke out at English Bay on June 19, 2021. (Youtube/Screen grab)
Man arrested, 3 police injured during 10-person brawl at Vancouver beach

The arrest was captured on video by bystanders, many of whom heckled the officers as they struggled with the handcuffed man

Patrick O’Brien, a 75-year-old fisherman, went missing near Port Angeles Thursday evening. (Courtesy of U.S. Coast Guard)
Search for lost fisherman near Victoria suspended, U.S. Coast Guard says

The 75-year-old man was reported missing Thursday evening

Most Read