Firefighters battle a blaze on Summit Avenue on Sunday afternoon.

Firefighters battle a blaze on Summit Avenue on Sunday afternoon.

Accidental fire claims Summit Avenue residence

A residence on Summit Avenue was completely destroyed after a fire broke out early Sunday afternoon.

A residence on Summit Avenue was completely destroyed after a fire broke out early Sunday afternoon.

“Upon arrival, the one building was fully engulfed in flames,” explained Prince Rupert fire chief Dave McKenzie.

“The one unit, including all of the personal belongings, is completely destroyed. I would estimate the damage at more than $200,000.”

McKenzie said the fire was an “accidental fire” caused by the misuse of smoking material. There were three children and two adults in the residence at the time, but all were able to evacuate unharmed after the smoke detector went off.

McKenzie said it took firefighters three hours to extinguish the blaze, but personnel remained on scene until 8 a.m.Monday morning to monitor for flare ups and hotspots in adjacent buildings.

McKenzie notes that this is a reminder of the importance of having properly working and tested smoke detectors in your home.