Do you spend your down time in airports answering emails and communicating with family and friends?
If charging your electronic devices falls down your pre-travel to-do list, you’ll love one of the many new features built in to the Northwest Regional Airport (YXT) in Terrace. As part of the $18.4-million terminal building expansion and upgrade, power outlets were installed at every chair in the waiting lounges, allowing you to boost your smartphone, tablet or laptop while enjoying free wifi before takeoff.
It’s one of those little things that contribute to a less stressful environment for passengers.
Other amenities awaiting at this improved transportation hub include food options after security and roomier holding areas with comfortable seating, says airport manager Carman Hendry. There’s even a heated departures walkway that minimizes your time spent outside during boarding.
What else will you find when flying into or out of Terrace?
1. Streamlined check-ins A larger check-in and baggage drop-off area makes for shorter waits.
2. Pick your ideal time Starting next May, one extra Air Canada flight departs daily to Vancouver between Monday and Friday. That makes for seven flights out overall on those days, giving you even more flexibility.
3. Soar over the Rockies With two direct Westjet flights to Calgary (6:30 a.m. Wednesday, Friday), Terrace is a good jumping off point for quick trips east.
4. Hop in/drop off and go Having four car rental agencies on site means you have more options for dropping off or picking up a vehicle upon your arrival.
5. Leave the car behind Long-term parking at YXT is reasonably priced and a short walk from the terminal, making it convenient to have your own vehicle available upon your return.
Hendry and his staff are proud of the improvements, which were officially unveiled in June.
“Not only is it a good-looking, state-of-the-art building, but it’s very comfortable and spacious for passengers,” he says. “Air travel can be very stressful, so one of our goals is to make it as stress-free as possible.”
Thinking about locating your business here?
Transportation options are critical if you’re a company owner considering northern communities for satellite locations, Hendry says. “One of the things a company looks for is a good, reliable airport.”
Even with the improvements, YXT has been able to keep overhead costs down for both airlines and passengers. Plus the volume of flights in and out to the Coast helps make the area attractive to business, Hendry adds.
And if Terrace is a central point for your company or group, the terminal building has meeting rooms and temporary offices available for use.