Gertrude Bluhm (Imhoff)

December 2, 1927- September 21, 2016

Trudy was born in Mannheim, Germany, in 1927 and lived through the tumultuous time leading up to and during the Second World War. She survived a serious childhood illness, and after recovery was given the gift of an accordion. This gave her the opportunity to discover a special musical talent, which carried her through the rest of her life. After the war she settled in Stuttgart and as a young woman met her future husband, Hans Bluhm. They were married in 1951 before immigrating to Canada. They first settled in the Elk Valley in southeastern B.C. and two children came soon after. The family eventually re- located to Prince Rupert, B.C. in 1963 where Trudy continued to raise her children. After they grew up, Trudy worked at Manson’s Jewellers for 17 years.

Both Trudy and her husband enjoyed sailing on the ocean and had many successful seasons of salmon fishing on the Skeena River. Travel was also a shared interest and they had the good fortune of being able to visit many interesting areas of the world. Upon retiring, Trudy and her husband moved to the beautiful Comox Valley in 1991 where they were able to continue enjoying fishing and boating as they had in Prince Rupert. Gardening also became a great source of pleasure.

Her family was most important to Trudy, and their visits were always a special time. She was predeceased by Hans, her husband of over 60 years, in 2012. She is survived by and dearly missed by her two children Margaret (John), and Oliver, as well as her two grandchildren Alex (Rebecca) and Anna, who held a special place in her heart. Trudy is also survived by numerous relatives in Germany.

Trudy was able to stay in her own home until just a few months before her passing. Even in the final days of her stay at St. Joseph’s Hospital, Trudy was still able to play her accordion.

The family would like to thank Dr. Sandwith and Dr. Winter of the Cottage Medical Clinic for their wonderful care over the last number of years, as well as the staff at St. Joseph’s Hospital for their special care.