Aftershocks continue to hit Haida Gwaii, 6.3 magnitude occurs right before noon
A 6.3 magnitude aftershock occurred at 11:54 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 28, 159 kilometres south-southwest of Masset.
Several aftershocks have occurred since last night's 7.7 magnitude earthquake, however until this morning, aftershocks had been given a 5.1 seismic rating or less.
At 12:09 p.m. a 5.5 magnitude aftershock was reported.
"I [haven't been feeling aftershocks] but I've heard that others did," Carol Kulesha, mayor of Queen Charlotte City, said. Kulesha has been keeping in contact with people from all over the islands since yesterday evening.
According to National Resources Canada, the Oct. 27 earthquake was the second largest in Canadian history, behind 1949's 8.1 magnitude earthquake that also happened offshore of Haida Gwaii. The third largest Canadian earthquake occurred in 1970, hitting south of Haida Gwaii with a magnitude of 7.4.
Fortunately no injuries or deaths occurring during last night's earthquake have been reported.
"No one has required the ambulance. I've asked people to report back to me if the situation changed, and so far I've heard nothing," Kulesha said, adding, "We missed the bullet. We're very, very fortunate. We're taking it as a good opportunity to practice for something more severe."
Additionally, there haven't been reports of any significant damage.
"As far as I've been able to determine there's no major damage. People have lost things off of their shelves and I think some of the stores might have a bit of a clean up to do, but there's no structural damage that has been reported," Kulesha said.
A representative from the US Geological Survey (USGS) told the Prince Rupert Northern View aftershocks could last for months.
Unfortunately representatives from Masset could not be reached.
Keep checking back for updates.